Our staff have played and coached football for a combined 31 years, at every level in the UK and Europe. In that time we have combined to win 2 Swedish National Championships, 1 European Champions League, 1 Britbowl, 1 Norwegian National Championship and 3 UK Divisional Championships.
When it comes to choosing a glove there are a couple of important factors you need to consider....
Below are lists of position specific factors to take into consideration when deciding on what glove to use.
- Catchers have a unique glove which is a fingerless mitt with much more padding than other gloves to withstand the repeated impacts from pitches
- Range in size from 31" to 34"
- Closed webbing for added support
- First Base is another position with a unique glove, it is a fingerless mitt with less padding than the catchers,
- Larger than most infield gloves, generally around 12.5" to help reach for throws from the base
- It has a shallow pocket to allow for quick transfer from the glove to your hand
- Open webbing to aid in a quicker transfer
- As a pitcher you should look for a glove between 11"-12" to allow quick transfers from your glove to your hand
- You should consider using a closed web glove to hide the ball and your grip from the batter
- You should consider a smaller glove for the infield to allow for quick transfers, generally between 11"-12"
- For a Softball infielders glove look at something between 12"-13" to accomodate the larger ball
- An open web style would be best for middle infielders to help with quick transfers
- Third base could consider using a closed web for added support from any balls hit hard down the baseline. Due to being closer to the plate a player at third base could consider a ball to the larger end of the scale to give that extra reach on any fast-moving balls
- Use a larger glove for as much reach as possible tracking down flyballs, generally between 12"-13"
- For Softball outfielders look between 13"-14"
- An open web is best suited here to see through the glove while blocking out sunlight
Check the charts below to see which glove size is best suited for you.
For Baseball Gloves:
Glove Size (Inches)
|Youth (7 - 12)||1st Base||11.5" - 12"|
|Youth (7 - 12)||Infield||10.25" - 11.5"|
|Youth (7 - 12)||Outfield||11.5" - 12.25"|
|Adult (12+)||1st Base||12" - 13"|
|Adult (12+)||Infield||11" - 12"|
|Adult (12+)||Outfield||12" - 12.75"|
For Softball Gloves:
|Level||Position||Glove Size (Inches|
|Adult Fastpitch||Infield||11.5" - 12"|
|Adult Fastpitch||Outfield/1st Base||12" - 13"|
|Adult Slowpitch||Infield||12" - 13"|
|Adult Slowpitch||Outfield||12.5" - 14"|